Friday, February 8, 2008

Journal Entry Seven

Progression

The disease seems to be moving faster now. Between the beginning and the end of my California road trip (see previous post) there was noticeable deterioration in my left arm and in my ability to speak.

If you and I have talked in the last month or two you probably noticed changes in my speech. At that time these changes were caused by weakness in my lungs. Now, there is no ignoring the fact that muscle deterioration is impacting my pronunciation. Fatigue makes talking later in the day difficult and very deliberate.

Between the end of January and the first of February I began losing ability to control my wheelchair. There are options to use different controls that let me change body position in the chair, but I don't think I can drive with the new controls.

As the disease moves from stage to stage the techniques and tools change, of necessity. In the beginning a hand brace and moving the mouse to the left side of the keyboard were clever ideas. Later, I began using augmentative software, and needed a leg brace and a cane to stand. For several months I have used a power wheelchair and have been hands -- free on my computer. Now I am approaching the next level -- whatever that means.

As usual, I am using voice recognition software to write in this journal entry. It is 8:10 a.m. and I am exhausted from the effort.