Monday, February 11, 2008


Journal Entry Eight

Old Friends become New Friends

I wrote an overview of my road trip in Journal Entry Six. I went to California, museum--hopping with two college roommates from the mid-1970s. I want to share some of what made this journey so special.

In fact, Carlos was a last minute addition to our trip. It was a good thing that he crashed the party because Steve and I had grossly underestimated the amount of work necessary and the safety issues involved with taking care of me.

As you know, Julie has taken care of my bathrooming needs and has fed me for several months. She is the only person who has fed me in public, at a restaurant. (I have to admit that we ate in Sherwood to reduce the likelihood of seeing someone I knew!)

All of this had to change on our trip to California.

I was a bit concerned on an emotional level, but figured it would work out alright. Steve and Carlos fed me from Wendy's to Red Lobster and everywhere in between. They took me to the bathroom in restaurants and in rest areas. Bathrooming in our hotels included shaving and brushing my teeth as well as using the toilet and taking a shower. (We agreed that there would be no anatomical jokes unless absolutely necessary.) Steve and Carlos were a great tag team.I couldn't have hoped for a better trip.

I did succeed in training them to bring me coffee in the shower!

Thanks, guys.