Tuesday, January 22, 2008



Journal Entry Five
A Sad Evening

Since beginning this journey in mid-2006 I have tended to look at my life with ALS in terms of milestones. When I stopped driving, when I stopped working, when I moved full time into a wheelchair, etc, were moments to put off as long as possible. Friday night was another big one.

A Hoyer lift is nothing more than a chromed engine hoist. Instead of using chains to pull that small-block Chevy out of the engine bay, the Hoyer uses a sling to move me from chair to toilet to bed.

While we had practiced several times, Friday night the 18th was the first Hoyer transfer done of necessity. Megan and Paige helped move me from the bathroom to bed. Another significant acknowledgment of change and of progression. We've come full circle since the days when it was I who carried them.

Some days are better than others.